N scale Canadian “Draper Raper” Dash 8? Yep. Rapido Trains (who else?) has announced the Canadian Dash 8-40CM in N scale. Jason and the Gang have put up the first test shots of this all-new locomotive and the detail is impressive (and what Rapido is known for).
There were 84 Dash 8-40CM units produced from 1990-1994 exclusively for Canadian railroads. Canadian National took delivery of 55, BC Rail got 26 and Quebec North Shore & Labrador Railway had 3. The Dash 8-40CM is mechanically identical to the more common Dash 8-40CW but differs in the use of the full-cowl body, different nose and windshield design and the “Draper Taper” behind the cab where the body pinches in to allow for better rear-ward visibility out of the cab. The 8-40CM also had Dofasco trucks identical to locomotives built by Montreal Locomotive Works, Bombardier, and Morrison-Knudsen.
These units are all still in service today and can be found plying the rails not only in Canada but through a heavy portion of the U.S. as well either via CN’s mainlines or as run-through power on other railroads.
The Rapido Model features:
- Accurately scaled from prototype blueprints – completely designed from new
- Roadname-specific details including bell position, single or double rear headlights, with or without battery boxes behind cab, horns, tall or short sand fillers, CN or BCOL style ditch lights and more
- High level of underbody detail with air filters, many separate pipes and moulded traction motor cabling and air/control pipe runs
- Heavy, die-cast chassis with a powerful coreless motor and dual flywheels
- Operational headlights and real lights with operational factory-installed ditch lights (plus rock lights on BCOL locomotives)
- Separate grab irons and handrails installed at the factory
- DC/Silent (Next18 DCC Ready) or DC/DCC/Sound (ESU LokSound) options
- Accurate sounds recorded from a real General Electric Dash 8-40CM
- Factory-installed couplers mounted at the correct height
Paints schemes planned for the first run include:
AVAILABLE: Mid 2019
The MSRP is $169.95 (DC/Silent) and $289.95 (DC/DCC/Sound) in Canada.
The US MSRP $149.95 (DC/Silent) and $259.95 (DC/DCC/Sound).
Lots more information and pre-orders can be made on the Rapido Trains website HERE.